Nov. 30, 2021
Media Advisory: UArizona Hockey to Play at New Iceplex in 2024
- What: The University of Arizona hockey team will hold a news conference to announce that the Mosaic Quarter Iceplex will host the team's home games beginning in 2024.
- Who: Speakers include University of Arizona President Robert C. Robbins, Dean of Students Kendal Washington White, UArizona hockey head coach Chad Berman and Frank Knott, president of Knott Development and developer of the Mosaic Quarter.
- When: Friday, Dec. 3, 2 p.m.
- Where: Room 125A of the Student Recreation Center, 1400 E 6th St., Tucson, AZ 85721
- Photos, renderings and additional information: https://arizona.box.com/v/ArizonaHockey
- Livestream: https://www.facebook.com/events/601877177626910
TUCSON, Ariz. — The University of Arizona hockey team will soon have a new place to call home.
In September 2024, the Wildcats will become a primary tenant of the new Mosaic Quarter Iceplex near South Kino Parkway and Interstate 10. The team will move its home games into the facility's state-of-the-art 3,000 seat venue, which is currently under construction. The MQ Iceplex will house all UArizona hockey operations, practices, games and events.
The facility's amenities will include locker rooms, an athletic training area, a concession area, a 5,000-square-foot pro shop, laundry facilities, special event space for meetings and more.
These additional University of Arizona teams will also call the Iceplex home:
- Women's hockey – Division I (new team projected for fall 2024)
- Men's hockey – Division II (new team projected for fall 2024)
- Adaptive Athletics sled hockey team (new team projected for fall 2024)
In addition to providing a home for the hockey team, the MQ Iceplex will also allow UArizona Campus Recreation to offer students several other ice-related activities, including figure skating, intramural sports, informal ice skating and skating lessons.
Founded in 1978, the UArizona hockey team is among the longest-running club squads housed under Campus Recreation. The Wildcats are a founding member of the Division 1 American Collegiate Hockey Association and have been ranked in the top 20 for the last three seasons. The Wildcats are currently 12-5 on the 2021-2022 season and ranked No. 14.
# # #
The University of Arizona, a land-grant university with two independently accredited medical schools, is one of the nation's top 50 public universities, according to U.S. News & World Report. Established in 1885, the university is widely recognized as a student-centric university and has been designated as a Hispanic Serving Institution by the U.S. Department of Education. The university ranked in the top 20 in 2019 in research expenditures among all public universities, according to the National Science Foundation, and is a leading Research 1 institution with $734 million in annual research expenditures. The university advances the frontiers of interdisciplinary scholarship and entrepreneurial partnerships as a member of the Association of American Universities, the 66 leading public and private research universities in the U.S. It benefits the state with an estimated economic impact of $4.1 billion annually. For the latest on the University of Arizona response to the novel coronavirus, visit the university's COVID-19 webpage.