Nov. 2, 2021
Media Advisory: Class of 2020 Graduation Celebration
- What: Graduation celebration to recognize the University of Arizona class of 2020
- When: Friday, Nov. 5, 4 p.m. Doors open at 3:15 p.m.
- Where: University of Arizona Mall, east of Old Main
- RSVP: Media who wish to attend must RSVP to Alexis Blue, firstname.lastname@example.org, by 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 4.
- Parking and media check-in: Members of the media can park and pick up Commencement credentials beginning at 3 p.m. in Lot 5075, 1105 E. South Campus Drive, at the southeast corner of Centennial Hall.
- Livestream: The ceremony will be streamed live at arizona.edu/live.
TUCSON, Ariz. – Members of the University of Arizona class of 2020 will gather on campus during Homecoming to celebrate their graduation in person, after the COVID-19 pandemic forced the May 2020 Commencement to be held virtually.
Nearly 1,000 graduates from the class of 2020 are expected to attend the celebration on the University of Arizona Mall, east of Old Main. This is the first time in more than 100 years that graduation will be celebrated with the iconic building as a backdrop.
Alison Levine, a history-making polar explorer and mountaineer who gave the keynote address at the 2020 virtual Commencement, will deliver in-person remarks during the celebration.
"The class of 2020 celebration will honor the accomplishments of our graduates and restore the treasured rite of Commencement," said Heather Lukach, assistant vice president for presidential events and university ceremonies. "We look forward to coming together, as one Wildcat Family, to give the class of 2020 the send-off they deserve and celebrate their first Homecoming in person as Wildcats For Life."
The event is open to students who graduated in fall 2019, winter 2019, spring 2020, summer 2020, fall 2020 and winter 2020. Each graduate was able to RSVP for up to four guests, who must have tickets to enter. About 3,100 guests are expected to attend, and RSVPs are now closed.
The graduation celebration is part of the university's Homecoming week, which this year is themed "Wildcats Together Again."
# # #